Saint Augustine Medal Dinner
The Augustinian Province of Saint Thomas of Villanova will present its' 2018 Saint Augustine Medal to Bishop Louis A. DeSimone, an honor bestowed upon an individual or a couple who exemplify the spirit and teachings of Saint Augustine, a deep commitment to the Order of Saint Augustine and the Augustinian values of Truth, Unity and Charity.
Celebration of Mass ~ 4:30 PM
St. Thomas of Villanova Church
Cocktails and Dinner ~ 6:00-9:30 PM
Philadelphia Country Club
1601 Spring Mill Road
Gladwyne, PA 19035
The Most Reverend Louis A. DeSimone, D.D., Retired Auxiliary Bishop of Philadelphia, and an Affiliate of the Order of Saint Augustine, has been a close friend of the Augustinians for many decades. His late brother, Father Russell DeSimone, O.S.A. was a member of the Province of Saint Thomas of Villanova until his death last year. As someone who lives each day of his life in a truly Augustinian spirit of humility and service, Bishop DeSimone is an ideal recipient of this recognition.
Bishop DeSimone graduated from Villanova University before entering the Army during World War II. Later, he completed studies at St. Charles Borromeo Seminary and was ordained to the priesthood on May 10, 1952. He was appointed Auxiliary Bishop of Philadelphia while pastor of Saint Monica Parish, Philadelphia, and was named Vicar General of the Archdiocese and later chairman of the Catholic Charities Appeal. He retired in 1997 after a lifetime of service to the Church, and currently resides at St. John Vianney Parish, Gladwyne. He continues to visit the Villanova Monastery weekly to join the friars in the celebration of Mass and to maintain longstanding friendships.
Saint Augustine Medal Dinner Committee
- Most Reverend Charles J. Chaput, O.F.M. Cap., Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia
- Most Reverend Robert P. Maginnis, D.D., Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia
- Monsignor Donald E. Leighton, Pastor, Saint John Baptist Vianney Parish
- Father John E. Deegan, O.S.A.
- Joan and John Mullen
- Jim Murray
- Mr. and Mrs. Jay Agnes
- Mrs. Patricia R. Cooney
- Mr. and Mrs. James Delaney
- Joseph V. and Anne M. Del Raso
- Mr. Daniel M. and Dr. Monica DiLella
- Mrs. Martie Gillin
- Mr. and Mrs. Michael P. Haney
- Mr. and Mrs. Phillip Harvey, Sr.
- Mr. Daniel J. Hilferty
- Mr. and Mrs. Gary M. Holloway, Sr.
- Rev. Joseph Kelley
- Father James J. McCartney, O.S.A.
- Mr. and Mrs. Eustace W. Mita
- Dr. Rosalie M. and Mr. Anthony Mirenda
- Mr. and Mrs. Patrick J. O’Connor
- Father Donald A. Reilly, O.S.A.
- Mr. John F. Scarpa
- Mr. Robert Sims
- Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Sousa, III
- Mr. and Mrs. Alex Zozaya
Event sponsorships/gifts will benefit the care for the elderly and infirm friars. For additional information, contact Madonna Sutter, Director of Advancement at 610-527-3330 ext. 265 or by email.